32 years of diverse experience developing, leasing and managing retail real estate. Particular experience in:
Development—Entitlements: 100% success rate in obtaining discretionary project approvals. Approvals for complex, mixed use, & politically sensitive projects. Public Assistance: +$80,000,000.00 in public assistance procured. Development Management: Direction & management of development teams on large & complex projects. Site Acquisition: Negotiation of joint ventures with major institutions & assembly of sites with multiple owners. Anchor Tenant Negotiations: Successful negotiation of leases, CC&R’s & REA’s with all major retailers. Public Sector Representation: Representation of Cities and Redevelopment Agencies in DDA negotiations & structuring of public assistance.
Leasing—Creation and management of leasing department. Achievement of 99.6% company-wide occupancy. Reacquisition & remerchandising of project GLA & increase in rents of +400%.
The Kenney Company, Newport Beach, Ca. (May 1995 - Present)
- Principal (May 1995 - Present) - Responsible for a multifaceted development, brokerage & consulting firm specializing in the development of single & multiple tenant retail facilities, public & private sector representation on real estate development matters, & real estate brokerage. The Company has completed projects for its own account & has properties in escrow for future development, has acted as the listing broker on a 290 acre mixed use development, has represented buyers & sellers in large land transactions, is currently acting as lead development consultant on large projects on behalf of institutional clients, & has represented retailers with site selection & lease negotiations.
Donahue Schriber, Newport Beach, Ca. (October 1972 - May 1995)
- Senior Vice President, Development (January 1992 - May 1995) - Responsible for all development activities. Obtained entitlements & assisted in negotiation of $23,500,000.00 in public financing for development of a regional mall. Commenced construction on Power Centers in Santa Rosa & Anaheim.
- Vice President, Development (1986 - 1992) - Created & directed development team for the redevelopment of the Tyler Mall into The Galleria at Tyler. Obtained entitlements in an extremely hostile political environment to add 3 additional department stores, 250,000 sq. ft. of additional mall shops, a 20,000 sq. ft. theater expansion & 150,000 sq. ft. office building on an existing 64.5 acre site. Added Nordstrom & negotiated department store agreements & a new REA. Oversaw preparation of comprehensive environmental documents that withstood legal challenges. Directed construction, budgeting, merchandising & leasing. Managed $113,000,000 development budget. Negotiated buyout of an underlying ground lease. Directed architects, engineers and other consultants while having hands-on involvement in every facet of project design & implementation. Opened expansion on time & under budget.
- Vice President, Leasing (1983 - 1986) - Directed & managed leasing staff. Responsible for operating the department, maximizing occupancy & merchandise mix for all projects. Merchandised & successfully leased Montebello Town Center regional mall.
- Director of Leasing (1979 - 1983) - Created leasing staff. Directed both in-house staff & brokers leasing 3 community shopping centers as well as Hemet Valley Mall & Glendale Galleria II, a 320,000 sq. ft. expansion of Glendale Galleria. Created a merchandise mix that drew customers to a third mall level not connected to the original center. Drafted lease form provisions that became industry standards. Involved in development functions including entitlements, land acquisition, department store & REA negotiations, project design & tenant design & coordination.
- Leasing Agent (1972 - 1979) - Responsible for leasing & merchandising Central City Mall, San Bernardino, Ca. during difficult economic times. Leased & merchandised The Esplanade, Oxnard, Ca. Responsible for reacquiring in excess of 35% of total GLA from large users for subdivision & redemising & achieved 400% rental increases. Leased & merchandised neighborhood shopping centers & coordinated all leasing activity & lease negotiation for Glendale Galleria, Glendale, Ca.
California State University, Fullerton:
- (1970-1971) Graduate work in Finance, Accounting & Economics.
- (1966-1970) B. A. in Business Administration - Finance & Economics.
- Honor Roll last 4 semesters. 4.0 GPA in Economics.
- California Business Properties Association - Statewide association representing the commercial real estate industry. Board Member (1977-1997); Chairman (1988 - 1989); President (1987 - 1988); Treasurer (1984-1987).
- International Council of Shopping Centers - International trade organization for the shopping center industry. Member (1972-Present); Program Committee (1991-2001); State Governmental Affairs Chairman (1994-1998).
- California Real Estate Broker's License (1975 - Present).
- Arizona Real Estate Broker’s License (2000 – Present).
- Certified Leasing Specialist (CLS) Designation - Accredited by the International Council of Shopping Centers (May, 1996).
ACTIVITIES & AFFILIATIONS
- Founding Father - Sigma Chi Epsilon Fraternity, Cal State Fullerton. Became local chapter of national Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity.
- Speaker & Lecturer - UCLA, Continuing Education of the Bar, ICSC, various local colleges, Board of Realtors. List available upon request.
- Board Member - Riverside YMCA (1988 - 1991).
- Board Member - Balboa Yacht Club (2003 – Present).
- Board Member - Promontory Bay Community Association (2003 – Present).
PROJECT LIST AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST